Australian contemporary music
Millions of Australians enjoy listening to music created by local artists and the international success of Australian musicians has made music one of our greatest cultural exports. The Australian Government supports the development of Australia's contemporary music industry through a number of initiatives.
These initiatives include:
- Sounds Australia—helps to develop Australia's national and international contemporary music industry.
- The National Live Music Office—works to increase opportunities for the presentation of live music through policy reform, as well as to identify directions to support audience and sector development for the benefit of live music in Australia.
- Control—a five stage intensive program for mid-career music managers delivered by the Australian Music Industry Association in association with the Association of Artist Managers.
- Release—a five stage intensive program for mid-career record label owners delivered by the Australian Music Industry Association in association with the Australian Independent Record Labels Association.
- SongHubs—song writing residencies in the Australian region including Asian locations. The program is delivered by the Australasian Performing Right Association.
- Musos in Residence—this program engages mid-career artists and producers professionally as mentors to work in schools with Australia's emerging songwriters in an intensive 'real world' music industry experience on the craft of song writing, studio production and post-production.
The Australia Council provides funding for a wide range of music activities that includes writing, recording, touring nationally and internationally, and professional development.
Two key music programs administered by the Australia Council are:
- Contemporary Music Touring Program—provides funding for national touring undertaken by Australian musicians performing original contemporary music with a priority on regional and remote locations.
- Festivals Australia—provides funding for Australian regional and community festivals to present quality cultural projects.