Australian contemporary music
Contemporary music reflects, expresses and shapes our national identity, and helps Australians find their creative voices. Millions of Australians enjoy listening to music by local artists,and the international success of many local acts has made music one of our greatest cultural exports. The Australian Government supports the development of this industry through a number of programs and initiatives.
The following funding programs are available:
- Contemporary Music Touring Program (Australia Council website)
The Contemporary Music Touring Program is administered by the Australia Council. This program provides funding for touring activities and prioritises regional and remote area touring.
- Festivals Australia (Australia Council website)
Festivals Australia is administered by the Australia Council.This program provides funding for Australian regional and community festivals to present quality cultural projects.
- Breakthrough: Emerging Indigenous contemporary musicians recording initiative
This program provides funding to emerging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander musicians and bands to produce a high quality recording of original tracks, suitable for broadcasting and commercial release.
Development and support
In addition to its funding programs, the Australian Government is:
- Developing a long-term plan targeting the many facets of the music industry, including export, live performance, skills development and innovation
- Investigating ways to promote private capital investment in the music industry, such as private sector microfinance
- Investing $260,000 over three years from 2010/11 in business skills training and mentoring for Australia’s music managers through the CONTROL: the business of music management initiative
- Ensuring Australian acts have the opportunity to support international performers on tour in Australia
- Examining ways to protect and promote artists’ copyright in the digital environment
- Investing $17 million in a Creative Industries Innovation Centre to support innovative small- and medium-sized creative businesses, including those in the music industry.
The Australian Government is working with state and territory governments through the Cultural Ministers Council’s Contemporary Music Development Working Group to:
- Boost music industry exports through a more coordinated and consistentapproach to international marketing. One initiative to achieve this is Australia's Contemporary Music Markets – a guide 10/11 (PDF - 436 KB).
- Address barriers to live music performance and encourage the growth of live music precincts in Australian cities. A guide examining live performance regulatory issues and encouraging best practice principles was released by the Cultural Ministers Council in May 2010: Supporting Australia's Live Music Industry: Suggested principles for best practice 2010.
- Provide coordinated support for Indigenous artists and music industry professionals. The first step in achieving this is implementing initiatives under the Cultural Ministers Council’s Indigenous Contemporary Music Action Plan.