Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation
The Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation plays an important role in delivering the Australian Government's Policy on Indigenous Repatriation. This all-Indigenous advisory committee is appointed by the Minister for the Arts to advise on policy and program issues related to Indigenous repatriation from Australian and overseas collections.
The role of the committee is to provide strategic advice to the Australian Government in relation to any issue directly affecting Indigenous repatriation including but not limited to:
- repatriation policy issues and strategic directions for the Indigenous Repatriation Program
- feedback and advice on general issues that emerge with implementing the program
- assessment of applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations for direct grants
- issues relating to cultural protocols
- the handling, storage and long-term care of ancestral remains and secret sacred objects with no identified community of origin including where there is poor or limited provenance, and
- other advice as requested by the Minister.
The Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation comprises five Aboriginal and one Torres Strait Islander member and are appointed based on their knowledge, experience and understanding of repatriation issues.
Members must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and have at least one of the following qualifications:
- an understanding of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander culture and traditions
- have previous or existing involvement in Indigenous repatriation, and/or
- have experience in museum and/or cultural heritage work, and
- hold a significant position or play an important role in their community in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues.
The current members of the Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation are:
Mr Ned David (Co-chair)
Miss Zoe Rimmer (Co-chair)
Mr Phillip Gordon
Mr Lyndon Ormond-Parker
Ms Carol Christophersen
Mr Major Sumner AM
If you have information that you wish the Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation to consider, or would like further information on the committee or the Indigenous Repatriation Program, please email email@example.com.