Indigenous culture and Closing the Gap
The rich cultural practices, knowledge systems and cultural expressions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are a source of great strength, resilience and pride. Strong cultural identity is fundamental to Indigenous health and social and emotional wellbeing. Initiatives that strengthen Indigenous culture are therefore essential to the Closing the Gap agenda, which is a commitment by all Australian governments to work together to improve the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and to provide a better future for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
Efforts to Close the Gap in Indigenous disadvantage must recognise and build on the strength of Indigenous cultures and identities. (National Indigenous Reform Agreement)
Read more in the Culture and Closing the Gap fact sheet below.
The Office for the Arts within the Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sport (DRALGAS) administers five funding streams that help to strengthen Indigenous culture and contribute to Closing the Gap:
- Indigenous Culture Support (ICS)
- Indigenous Languages Support (ILS)
- Indigenous Visual Arts Industry Support (IVAIS)
- Indigenous Repatriation Program (IRP)
- Indigenous Employment Initiative (IEI) in the Indigenous arts and cultural sectors.
Download fact sheets
- Culture and Closing the Gap fact sheet (PDF 2.2 MB)
- Indigenous Culture Support fact sheet (PDF 1.3 MB)
- Indigenous Languages Support fact sheet (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Indigenous Visual Arts Industry Support fact sheet (PDF 1.7 MB)
- Indigenous Employment Initiative in the arts and cultural sectors fact sheet (PDF 1.2 MB)