What we do
The Ministry for the Arts develops and administers programs and policies that encourage excellence in art, support for cultural heritage and public access to arts and culture.
Work by arts and cultural organisations and artists can inspire and challenge us, provoke new thoughts and ideas, and give us fresh perspectives on the world. The Ministry for the Arts believes all Australians, whether in regional areas or major cities, should have access to artistic and cultural activities, performances and exhibitions.
The funding and support we provide helps artists and organisations shape our cultural landscape, increase cultural diversity, and inspire, educate and entertain audiences across Australia and around the world.
The Ministry for the Arts supports Australia’s rich cultural and Indigenous sectors by:
- Developing policy, research and statistics
- Administering legislation and funding
- Supporting elite national arts training institutions
- Managing Artbank, which supports and promotes Australian contemporary art through the collecting, commissioning, curating and leasing of art
- Working with portfolio agencies to achieve the Australian Government’s cultural and Indigenous objectives
- Overseeing the National Network to deliver national Indigenous art, culture, languages and broadcasting programs.